Tuesday 7 October 2014

When reality hits

Hello, Outernet. If you're reading this now, I presume you were scrolling through some kind of social media. So, hey! It's a bit of a rough topic this week, but why not.

It's suddenly hit me that I have been unhappy with being in education from the age of 6, simply because of the people I had to share a classroom with. I was desperately unhappy from the age of 14 to up until a couple of months ago.

I am not an unintelligent person. I achieved good grades, I have a passion for learning, for science, music, English, even maths. This, however, made me a clear target for other students and even teachers. I was hyper, talked a lot and like to make people laugh. It sometimes got me into a bit of trouble

I remember my reception class and the half of Year 1 I spent down south. I had a lovely teacher and probably loved going to school. When my parents made the tough decision to move to Yorkshire, I started to grow up and meet different kinds of people. Kids didn't like that I had a different accent or that I could spell alright. I remember being held up against a gate by a boy in my class. Every break time, me and my friend would run away from him and hide behind the wall so he wouldn't pick on us.

I'm not saying that school was horrendous, but it was certainly an unpleasant experience. Secondary school was worse than primary, as I was constantly bullied. Even a younger friend who I helped fit in bullied me. I wanted to help her so she wouldn't go through what I did. Always the good guy, right?

I am here to say that school is crap. The kids picking on you are not jealous, and even if they are,  they're doing it to look better than you and get an ego boost. Guys/girls don't like the smart guys/girls. They go on who all their friends say is hot or popular. Homework won't earn you respect. Your teachers will mostly be arseholes. PE doesn't make you an instant athlete and is horrible at nine am, when it's lower than 5°. I could go on and on.

What I'm here to say is that it ends. College is amazing. I have never felt so comfortable around people and it rocks. The girl who was called 'Spaz' or thought as weird? I get graded on doing the thing I love and so will you. Bullies occur in everyday life, but you get to leave that behind. Just hang on!
I still have nights where I feel isolated and rubbish, but that's down to me. Life is GOOD, people. Learn to live it and give a big middle finger to those who have earned it.
Have an amazing week.

No comments:

Post a Comment