Saturday 24 May 2014

Leaving the past in the past

Yesterday, I took a giant leap in my short life and left high school. It wasn't my choice, as such, as it is the time of the year when Year 11's have their study leave in order to prepare for their GCSE's. If I'd had the choice, I think I would have given up on my second day!

Most people get emotional and anxious about leaving education, as there is a huge misconception that once you are thrown into the real world, it all goes to pot (For some people, quite literally. Most came into school baked as a cake.). This is completely not the case, though! Leaving school is meant to be something amazing and wonderful, finally getting to 'leave the nest' and feel the wind known as responsibility and bigots beneath your wings. What is life without a little challenge in every day? I don't know where I would be without having to face prejudice and the arrogance of some people on a daily basis. I doubt that my patience would be as strong without them!

Leaving your familiar surroundings helps you to adjust to newer and sometimes even better ones. When I was 13, my mum found an advert about getting a scholarship to Barbara Speake Stage School. I begged her to let me go. I mean, three years in London, attending a school which caters to my vocational needs? Surely I was missing something! So, we travelled down and I auditioned for my chance to be trained up to face the theatrical world. Unfortunately, I didn't get the full scholarship, but the school was kind enough to offer me a part paid one. Jumping at the chance, I soon started my first day; May the 3rd, 2011. 3 years, many bills and one hell of an experience later, I've said my farewells and I am soon to be starting college to gain as much knowledge about music there is to offer. 

The one unfortunate thing about stage school is the lack of attention to the academic needs of the students. With it being mainly focused on the vocational part, it wasn't ideal for someone wanting to do something other than performing. Also, with it being extremely small (110 students from the age of 3-16), those who struggled often got left behind and those who excelled were in the wrong school. However, I cannot deny that it has given me life experience which will stick with me forever, combined with stories of passionate art teachers and catty students. It's been one Hell of a run ('Hell' being the operative word!), but I wouldn't exchange it for the world. The person I am today has been created by this school, and I can't wait to go to college where I put my knowledge to use.


This is my entire senior school. I told you it was small!

No comments:

Post a Comment