Monday 9 June 2014

What is your passion?

What I've noticed recently is that my blog reminisces a lot on my past. I think that when I get to college, it will be much more recent!
                                                                    *    *    *
Everybody has their little things that help them through the day. One of my friends knows that if she gets through her struggles that day, she can still go home to see her group of recent friends. Some like to knit, write, or even look forward to winding down with a glass of wine and their favourite film. I, however, depend on music. More specifically, singing.

I know that you're most probably thinking, 'Typical stage kid, typical teen, listening to music all the time, yada yada yada...'. But, not surprisingly, my reasons seem much different to others. Most teens and adults seem to have a genre, artist or song that really relates to them. It seems like the singer is only there for them, or that the strings in a piece of music make their ears numb from pure, simplistic pleasure. For me it's different.

When I listen to music, music that really speaks to me... The feeling is indescribable. As soon as the first chord strikes, I feel my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach and I can't breathe properly. Everything around me seems to slow down. Nothing, anything, even myself, matters more than what is being played. I don't enjoy listening to music through my headphones. It feels so claustrophobic. Music deserves to be played out loud, gently, caressing the air around you and causing you to go into a sedated state of mind. It shouldn't be kept in. Music deserves to be listened to, be it classical, punk, blues or pop. Even a generic song with no significance to your life could mean so much more to someone else.

 Being on stage does not matter to me. Singing does. I seem to sing mostly when I'm upset, angry or tense. I sing around the house, for my family, when I'm concentrating... Even on the toilet! Unlike music, it makes me feel alive. In a way, singing is my resurrection from listening to music. I go from feeling numb and disconnected from the world, to forcing my presence on to anything that will listen. It scares me not being able to feel alive. Singing seems to release me from that grip.

I was eleven in this video. I sang this song very recently in a talent contest and came second! I was so pleased with how I sang, I burst into tears. Always a drama queen!

To summarise, I believe everyone needs that little something to help them along and keep them sane. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment